A set of clean pearly white teeth is associated with beauty, health, happiness, and cleanliness. Practically, everybody desires to have them. The good thing is that, if you reside in Singapore, a teeth whitening procedure is fairly inexpensive and is offered in almost all dental clinics in the country. Research has shown that teeth whitening procedure conducted by a professional dentist is quite safe, and has very few minor side effects.
The Benefits of a Teeth Whitening Procedure
The most evident benefit of whitening your teeth is having an enhanced, whiter and brighter smile that improves your appearance. However, besides the aesthetic gains associated with teeth whitening, other benefits include:
- Helps manage halitosis – or chronic bad breath
- Increased self-confidence
- Boosts your self-esteem
Types of stains treated by Singapore dentists
Teeth stains can be categorized as intrinsic or extrinsic stains.
Intrinsic stains may occur at the enamel or to some extent, the dentin (layer of tissue directly underneath the enamel). These stains give the teeth a grayish or yellowish color. This may be triggered by several factors:
- Dental trauma – Teeth can be stained from the inside as result of internal bleeding. This sometimes leads to decay, eventually giving the teeth a blueish-brown stain.
- Antibiotics – Giving certain antibiotics to kids whose teeth are in the development stage can lead to staining.
- Environmental factors – Fluoride is believed to cause teeth staining if consumed in large amounts.
- Genetic factors – A small percentage of people who have congenital problems may also have stained teeth.
- Age-related factors – The superficial layer of the enamel gets eroded as we age, leaving the dentin exposed. The dentin may turn yellow due to this exposure.
Extrinsic stains take place when the superficial layer of the tooth (enamel), is stained. Just like intrinsic stains, there are also various causes for this:
- Smoking – Tar and nicotine in tobacco stain the necks of the teeth, giving the teeth a brown/yellowish color.
- Diet – Habitually consuming colored foods like tea, red wines, cola and coffee stains your teeth over time.
- Poor dental hygiene – Accumulated dental plague can eventually turn into stains, which varies between black, brown, yellow or grey.
Popular types of teeth whitening
In-clinic whitening (Chairside)
- Essentially involves two sessions
- Light systems and special gels are used to accelerate the process
- Fast, higher cost
Take home whitening
- Perfect if you want slightly whiter lighter teeth.
- The dentist will take an outline of your teeth to engineer bespoke trays which fits the teeth.
- The whitening gel is put in the trays. These trays are worn by the patient for a half an hour a day, for approximately two weeks.
- Takes more time than in-clinic treatment
Which is the fastest and effective way to whiten your teeth?
If you need your teeth to be as white as they can naturally look, your best bet would be in-office teeth whitening. The first in-clinic session usually takes around 90 minutes, during which your smile makeover specialist will carry out standard scaling and polishing. The scaling helps get rid of surface tints so that your teeth can come into direct contact with the whitening gel.
For most in-office whitening treatments, a good number of people can attain reasonable results in one session. Nonetheless, if you have extremely discolored teeth, you will need a few sessions of in-house teeth-whitening to achieve your desired results.
The whitening gel is also only successful in healthy, natural teeth. For instance, if you have tooth decay which is causing the staining, it has to be gotten rid of before bleaching can be effective. Additionally, other substances like crowns or dental fillings cannot be bleached.
Teeth whitening can be combined with other restorative or cosmetic treatments for an all-inclusive result. For example, when porcelain veneers or dental crowns are placed, especially in front of your cosmetic dentist may suggest you first undergo a teeth whitening procedure so that colour of your teeth can match the restoration done.
Additionally, if you have completed a smile makeover treatment that includes re-aligning your teeth with Invisalign, whitening can balance the hue of your teeth to guarantee eye-catching results. Completing a general dentistry checkup or treatment can be another ideal time to take up teeth whitening.
Is teeth whitening painful?
Teeth whitening procedures are usually painless. A few people though may experience a slight dull ache and transitory teeth sensitivity. It is advisable to avoid very cold or hot drinks for the first day if you are experiencing any form of sensitivity. Usually, a desensitizing gel is prescribed after the procedure to address this issue.
Other known side effects, include white patches on the gum line, sore throat, mouth ulcers, and irritation of gingival tissues. If you are experiencing other forms of side effects, make an effort of discussing this with your dentists.
How long do the teeth whitening effect last?
After the procedure, the dentist will teach you on how to retain that new bright smile. The whitening effect can last from several months up to three years. However, this can vary for each person depending on their lifestyles. For example, consumption of colored drinks like coffee or smoking excessively can potentially stain your teeth.
Is teeth-whitening at the dental clinic cost-effective?
Although the cost of in-clinic whitening treatment is higher than take-home treatment, it guarantees quicker results, and also the probability of procedural errors is reduced. Normally, after the initial diagnosis, the dentist will advise you on the proper treatment plan according to your unique circumstances and financial options.
Ensure you visit a trusted dental clinic
It is advisable to visit a qualified dentist who can conduct the teeth whitening procedure competently and safely. Our dentists at Orchard Scott Dental Clinic are experienced and have the right qualifications to carry all types of aesthetic dental procedures. Additionally, our teeth whitening treatments are all proven to be reliably effective; meaning, you can leave your reservations behind and trust us fully to whiten your teeth safely!
If you’d like to book an appointment, discuss time frames, prices, or ask any questions regarding our smile makeover services, get in touch with us today on +65 6732 9939.